Adult-Derived Stem Cells

H

Henry Young

Henry E. Young, PhD
Mercer University School of Medicine
Director, Adult Stem Cell Research Laboratory
Law School 3rd Floor Medical Research Laboratory
1021 Georgia Ave., Macon, GA 31207

I have performed 30+ years of research in the area of adult-derived stem cells from 10 species of mammals, including humans. The majority of my studies have dealt with the discovery, isolation, cultivation, cloning from single cells, freezing, and characterization of germ layer lineage mesodermal stem cells [Young et al., Clonogenic analysis reveals reserve stem cells in postnatal mammals. I. Pluripotent mesenchymal stem cells. Anat. Rec. 263:350-360, 2001], pluripotent epiblast-like stem cells [Young et al., Clonogenic analysis reveals reserve stem cells in postnatal mammals. II. Pluripotent epiblastic-like stem cells. Anat. Rec. 277A:178-203, 2004], and totipotent blastomere-like stem cells [Young and Black, Adult-derived stem cells. Minerva Biotechnologica 17:55-63, 2005]. I named the stem cells based on their inherent differentiation potential rather than on their tissue of origin [Young and Black, 2005]. In all species examined to date, these particular adult-derived stem cells are predominantly sequestered in skeletal muscle in the quiescent state and mobilize into the peripheral vasculature after injury [Stout et al., Primitive stem cells reside in adult swine skeletal muscle and are mobilized into the peripheral blood following trauma. American Surgeon 73 (11):1106-1110, 2007]. Recently, we received FDA approval to perform autologous human transplants for somatic injuries / diseases, in Georgia. We need to show proof of concept with autologous transplants before the FDA will allow us to perform allogeneic transplants to correct genetic disorders. In six months or less (depending on availability of funds), I should have a GMP/GLP facility ready to perform autologous adult human stem cell transplants in Macon, Georgia, USA. Our only exclusion criteria for these studies are individuals having communicable diseases. We have noted that the stem cells normally circulate in an inactive state continuously throughout the peripheral blood. We can easily obtain the stem cells by venipuncture (blood draw) and have discovered methods to segregate the stem cells from the erythrocytes and leukocytes. Our next, and most crucial step, is stem cell activation ex vivo (outside the body) before introduction back into the individual (autologous transplant). The activation step is the key critical step for the process to work. Inactivated stem cells remain quiescent. On the other hand, activated stem cells have restored damaged tissues to their original histoarchitecture (in animals) [Young et al., Adult reserve stem cells and their potential for tissue engineering. Cell Biochem Biophys, 40(1):1-80, 2004; Young et al., Adult-derived stem cells and their potential for tissue repair and molecular medicine. J Cell Molec Med 9:753-769, 2005]. Moreover, in our studies since the stem cells are autologous there is no need for immunosuppressant therapy, with its associated morbidity and mortality.

Thank you for your interest,
Dr. Young

Henry E. Young, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy, Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Professor, Department of Pediatrics,
Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Director of Embryology,
Director of Gross Anatomy,
Director of Gross Anatomical Dissection,
Director of Embryology, Histology, and Gross Anatomical Dissection
for Certified Registered Nurse Anesthesiologists
Mercer University School of Medicine
Director, Adult Stem Cell Research Laboratory
Law School 3rd Floor Medical Research Laboratory
1021 Georgia Ave., Macon, GA 31207

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings, I am his 18 year old daughter Katie Young.

I have been in his lab and assure you that everything he is saying is completely true and legit.

J

JC the Fox

Volunteers

Dr. Young - Are you asking for volunteers for this study? If so, I want to be included. Are we to respond with information to either of the email addresses you have provided?

JC

H

Henry Young

Volunteers

I need volunteers that would be willing to pay for the cost of the reagents to do the procedure and technical assistance (a phlebotomist) to do the blood draws and the blood transfusions back into the patients (autologous treatment). I figure about $5,000 per procedure, charged either directly to the patient or to the patient's physician, would cover my costs plus give me a little extra to help purchase some pricey machines (i.e., four-channel flow cytometer - costs about $250,000 and a person to operate it; Class-II Biosafety cabinet to maintain sterility and technical assistance; a cryostat for making frozen tissue sections, a con-focal microscope, etc.). I have never been funded by any federal agency due to various reasons, i.e., ?adult stem cells don?t exist in humans?, ?you work at a teaching institution not a research institution?, ?your research does not follow conventional wisdom?, etc., etc., etc. Hence, I have had to find alternative methods of funding. When my father passed away (stroked out as a result of type-I diabetes) he split up his estate into five equal portions, one each for my mother, brother, sister, and myself, and one to help support my research. When my Mom passed away due to pulmonary fibrosis secondary to systemic lupus, she split her estate into four equal parts, one each for my brother, sister, and me, and one to help support my research. I put my portions from their wills together with the research portions and have been using the interest from the combined estate trust to help pay for my research. I also supplement those funds with money from my own pocket and private money from other donors.

While my funding has not been very much, maybe $500,000 total over the course of a 30+-year research career, it has allowed me to make great strides ? by learning how not to waste money. Also, since the money from most grants are used to pay for salaries I have used donated help from collaborators (all over the world), my medical students, residents, attendings, local physicians, local undergraduate students from my undergraduate college and other colleges in the city, and even high school students to do the hands-on portions of the research. While I could not pay them a monetary salary to do the work, I pay in manuscript co-authorships. Something that is actually more important to their careers in the end than money. For example, the manuscript Young et al., Clonogenic analysis reveals reserve stem cells in postnatal mammals. II. Pluripotent epiblastic-like stem cells. Anat. Rec. 277A:178-203, 2004, in which we proved that adult animals contained a stem cell (I cloned the population from a single cell) with the capabilities to form every somatic cell type of the body, but not sperm or ova. What we actually proved was that a single adult-derived stem cell could form 63 out of the ~220 different cell types in the body. At that time, our laboratory only had objective assays for 65 of the ~220 cell types in the body. That particular manuscript has 45 authors. Each one of those authors contributed significantly to getting the paper published and was rewarded for their efforts with a co-authorship on the manuscript.

I also take as many individuals as can afford to pay their own way to international scientific meetings to present their findings. We had 13 present at the stem cell meetings in Snowbird, Utah in 2007, and 12 present at the stem cell meetings in Vancouver BC in February of this year, 2008. Because of my heavy teaching schedule (I teach 11 out of the 12 months of the year) and the location of the stem cell meetings in Singapore in 2009 ? we will be taking a large contingent of individuals from the laboratory to present at the stem cell symposium at the Anatomy meetings in New Orleans in April of 2009 (the only month in which I don?t teach).

If you read my introduction, I am more concerned with patient care than I am with making money. My father passed away because of complications from type-I diabetes. My Mom passed away because of complications from SLE. Added to that is the fact that my wife?s sister is a ?brittle? type-I diabetic. Moreover, I am personally in stage IV of SLE (inherited from my Mother). I have used my entire research career trying to find a cure for others and myself with diseases like my own. Besides SLE, I also have celiac disease and Raynaud?s syndrome. I believe I have found such a cure utilizing adult totipotent, pluripotent, and germ layer lineage stem cells. Now it is time to prove it. As I said before, if I could receive enough funding to pay for some expensive machinery, supplies, technical assistance, etc. I would give what I know away for free to anyone that needed it. Every year I literally spend half my time writing for grants, just to be turned down for some very lame excuses (in my mind). Three years ago, I was told to get my affairs in order because I would not survive the year. Moreover, I almost did not survive the year; I dropped 80 pounds in six weeks. If I was not carrying around extra reserves (weight), I would have died. Nevertheless, I am still vertical which is much better than being permanently horizontal.

I would also like additional funds to help support some of my more sci-fi research projects. 1) We are working on an artificial transplantable pancreatic islet organ composed of a decellularized pig organ (lose the pig cells, lose the pig antigenicity), donor human islets and recipient BLSCs, ELSCs, GL-EndoSCs, and induced pancreatic progenitor cells. We have tested the construct in organ culture where it secretes 300 times the amount of insulin per standardized unit of DNA compared to individual islets on their own. We figure we could possibly transplant 50 people from a single human cadaveric pancreas, rather than needing two cadaveric pancreases to transplant a single individual. We are gearing up to test the artificial organ construct in 150-pound diabetic pigs. 2) We have a product/process I call ?blood cells on tap?. A bioreactor will produce unlimited quantities of type O-negative (universal donor) blood. We are in the final scale-up process of that study. 3) Newborns with a condition called Tetrology of Fallot do not have the routine large pulmonary trunk that connects the right side of the heart to the lungs to oxygenate the blood. We are in the initial phases of using sized-matched outflow tracks from young pigs, removing the pig cells using the same process we use for the artificial pancreas study and incorporate the decellularized pig outflow track matrix with BLSCs, ELSCs, and GL-MesoSCs from the recipient to create a new pulmonary trunk. With time, the pig matrix will be replaced by recipient human matrix and the individual has a normal outflow track carrying blood to the lungs for normal oxygen exchange. 4) Allogeneic elective organ transplant without the use of immunosuppressants. One of the unique capabilities of our BLSCs is the fact that they tolerize the recipient to their own donor MHC cell surface molecules. My collaborators have tested this repeatedly both in culture and in small animal transplant experiments. We are gearing up to test this concept using larger animals, i.e., sheep to pig, pig to goat, goat to horse, horse to cow and vice versa. If the results continue as they have in the past, elective surgeries could be accomplished between allogeneic individuals without tissue rejection and without the use of immuno-rejection drugs. In addition, we have quite a few others on our plates as well. One is only limited by one?s own imagination, and I do not suffer from that problem.

If I could obtain 1) sufficient funding from donations for the purchase of pricey machinery, 2) salary support for particular technical assistants, and 3) people that would voluntarily become ?guinea pigs? for some of our experiments (and I promise that I will not try something on someone that I have not already tried on myself - for safety concern issues), then I will give away my treatments to individuals for free. Alternatively, I figure maybe the Wal-Mart approach to business would be the best answer - high volume and at a low cost. I will accept anyone into my studies, no matter their ability to pay. The only exclusion criteria now would be individuals with communicable diseases. Otherwise, I will take all comers with any somatic disease entity from newborns to geriatric-aged individuals.

I apologize to you for the length of the answer to your relatively short question. However, you need to understand that I view things differently than most of my peers. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Take care, Dr. Young

H

Henry Young

Somatic Injuries

Briefly, Muscular dystrophy and BRAC gene transmission are both genetic disease entities that can not be treated by replacing the tissue with endogenous stem cells. In contrast, vascular ischemia, myocardial infarctions, COPD (+/-), spinal cord injuries, etc. are somatic injuries. They are not transmitted from the parents to their children and therefore can be treated with autologous stem cells. Take care, Dr. Young

J

JC the Fox

$

$5,000 per procedure seems reasonable. How many procedures per person would be required?

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Whoa

JC and others - Dr. Young is needing donations to be able to actually implement everything that he would like to do. Since, he has not treated patients, I don't believe he can state how many treatments would be required. This is in the experimental stage and he is asking for guinea pigs or as we prefer to be called, Pioneers. If anyone on this forum is knowledgeable about grant writing or large fund raising projects, please contact Dr. Young. His heart and his science, to me, is in the right place, but I don't think his post was intended to cause a line up to get free or reduced rate treatment from him until he is ready set to go. He is serious about fund raising and the desire to make treatment affordable for everyone.

J

JC the Fox

Whoa?

Perhaps. However, Dr. Young posted this in his reply to my first post:

I need volunteers that would be willing to pay for the cost of the reagents to do the procedure and technical assistance (a phlebotomist) to do the blood draws and the blood transfusions back into the patients (autologous treatment). I figure about $5,000 per procedure, charged either directly to the patient or to the patient's physician

That sounds to me as if he's asking for volunteers to pay, so I'm asking how much. But, you may speak for him if you wish.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
JC - I don't wish to speak for him. You can private message him as he is a forum member. You are asking for specifics of treatment, such as how many treatments would be required. Dr. Young may have thoughts on this, but I do not see how he could absolutely predict what each individual would require from a forum posting. I think members need to understand this and not just judge something by the cost of treatment. Dr. Young is very empathetic to us as he also suffers from chronic disease. I think the dream could become reality, but I don't believe he is in a position to start treating in volume at this point. If he wants to start with a few patients as part of his experiment, by all means, I encourage people to explore that and contact him once we get the procedure down as Dr. Young would like it.

Last edited:
H

Henry Young

Treatment Specifics

I edited this post to add new information from Dr. Young. The e-mail address he gave, is not working properly, so I will post this information as soon I hear from him as to why it is not working. No one is going to get left out if they are interested in treatment, so I would ask members to give Dr. Young a little breathing time so that we can get this organized properly. Keep in mind this is strictly experimental. I have posted what he is asking participants to do. You do not need to have COPD to be involved in the study. Barbara

I apologize to you for not answering some of your messages as soon as possible. I have not been feeling very well. Barbara has the particulars if anyone absolutely has to know. Take care, Dr. Young

I will set up a separate email site for those Pioneers that would be interested in participating in a scientific study. I will need to know their contact information, their doctor's contact information (they will also be participating in the study - monitoring organ function), best time schedule for the pioneer to come to Macon, diagnosis, ballpark percent organ function, and willingness to follow my directions to the letter. One of the major ones - if you are a COPD patient NO SMOKING, not even closet smoking; also to be on a healthy diet and to get some form of daily exercise. One study we did in horses showed that moderate exercise doubled the number of circulating BLSCs over a 6 hour time span. While it may not equate to humans, both are large animals, so it may equate. We are still in the infant stages to make any direct correlations at this time.

Also, I would prefer that they have the enzyme test run. I don't want to have someone's death on my hands because they were an unknown autoimmune patient and we gave them the wrong nutraceutical. If they are an autoimmune patient, that does not preclude them from being in the study - we just need to determine a different regimen for them to follow. They would be in my group.

Last edited by a moderator: