A very astute remark

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I recently came across this while reading about legislative issues regarding stem cell research. These remarks were made in a Senate joint hearing and I thought they were worth posting.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (UT) called stem cell research a "handcuffed" science, holding a pair above his head. Story C. Landis, PhD, director of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, said, "If with these handcuffs we've been able to do [what we have], imagine [what we could do] without them."

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
Well in that case I plan to send an email to Sen Hatch and let him see what we are doing here on this forum.

WHo knows? Maybe it will give the topic more focus?

Mysty119

Jeannine

I think that's a great idea, Jeannine. Let him know there are people out here like Nissan, you and Barb and others who have had the therapy and what it's done for you. And let him know about us others who are on our way to have our therapy as opposed to (in most cases), very invasive surgery!!

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
I second your idea Jeannine. I think it should be noted that Senator Hatch comes from Utah where his constituents are predominantly Mormon. I applaud Senator Hatch for his far sightedness. Just exactly who is holding the key to these handcuffs? I see a lot of blame being passed around while we lose more members on this forum from their illness, not from disinterest. If you consider that we know of 3 lost members out of our small membership, just think what the statistics are like worldwide. In so many cases, stem cell therapy may have proven the difference between life and death.