7th Installment - 10 Questions and Answers with Dr. Mitchell Ghen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Ghen normally answers individual questions in our Diet and Nutrition section of the forums.

This month he has graciously agreed to answer our member submitted stem cell questions.

Thank you Dr. Ghen

1) There has been mention made by others who have received stem cell therapy that we should "stay out of the sun" after therapy. Is this true? Is there a specific reason for this and for how long should we stay out of the sun?

THERE ARE A COUPLE OF REASONS THE PATIENT IS TOLD NOT TO SIT IN THE SUN. FIRST, SEVERAL OF THE IMMUNOSUPRESSIVE DRUGS AS WELL AS SOME ANTIBIOTICS USED AFTER THE PROCEEDURE COULD MAKE THE PATIENT MORE SENSITIVE TO THE SUN. ALSO, GETTING A SKIN BURN AFTER A PROCEEDURE COULD CALL THE STEM CELLS TO THE SKIN TO REPAIR THE BURN RATHER THAN BE UTILIZED FOR THE THE PROBLEM THE PATIENT HAD THE TRANSPLANT FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE.

2 and 3) I had a single lung transplant 2/10/2001. I have been in chronic rejection for two years and am at 25% FEV1. I take many medications for the transplanted lung including prednisone, methotrexate, bactrim and zithromax. Will these have an adverse effect on the new stem cells if I had treatment? With a transplanted lung and my native lung, which will the stem cells go to for repair or regeneration? One last thing, would I be better off to get my own stem cells back or get stem cells from a donor umbilical cord?

WOW! GOOD QUESTIONS. ANTIBIOTICS IN LARGE DOSES CAN STUNT A STEM CELL GRAFT. THIS IS CERTAINLY TRUE IN CULTURE AND IS SUGGESTED TO OCCUR IN VIVO AS WELL. THE BEST WOULD BE, IF POSSIBLE USE CELLS FOR THE GRAFT FROM YOUR DONATED LUNG AND IF NOT POSSIBLE, YOU COULD TRY YOUR OWN CELLS FIRST, UNFORTUNATELY THEY MAY NOT BE IN THE BEST SHAPE FOR ORGAN RENEWAL. IF THAT FAILS THEN A TRANSPLANT WITH THE EARLIEST CELLS (YOUNGEST) POSSIBLE WILL OFFER THE BEST CHANCE FOR ENGRAFTMENT AND NOT BE REJECTED.

4) Have you ever heard by using "live fetal precursor stem cells from certified closed colony of rabbits" that it could slow down the progression of ALS? I got this information at www.stem-cell-transplantation.com <http://www.stem-cell-transplantation.com> , www.bcro-asia.com <http://www.bcro-asia.com>

I WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO EVER SUGGEST A TRANS SPECIES TRANSPLANT. THE POTENTIAL FOR SIDEEFFECTS ARE GREAT AS WELL AS ALLERGIC REACTIONS THAT COULD HAVE SERIOUS AND POSSIBLY FATAL OUTCOMES.

5) I talked with a doctor today that said he could treat me in the US using bone marrow stem cells. Do you know the laws or differences between the US doctors and the companies we are all using overseas?

THE USE OF BONE MARROW STEM CELLS OR HUMAN CORD BLOOD ARE TYPICALLY USED FOR HEMATOLOGIC DISORDERS..I.E. LEUKEMIA ETC. THE USE OF THESE CELLS IN OTHER CONDITIONS..YOU WOULD NEED TO CHECK WITH THE FDA AS TO THE APPROVED USES.

6) What is the greatest challenge facing stem cell doctors today?

THIS ONE STOPPED ME FOR A MOMENT. THERE ARE SEVERAL AREAS THAT CHALLENGE TRANSPLANT RESEARCHERS. THEY START WITH THE LIMITED RESOURCES FOR GOOD QUALITY STEM CELLS,RESEARCH IN CERTAIN STEM CELL LINES ARE SEVERLY LIMITED ESPECIALLY IN EMBRYONIC S.CELLS. CLINICAL TRIALS ARE EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE,AND THE CONCEPT OF THE HUMAN?S COMPLEXITY IS RARELY APPRECIATED BY TRIALS AND HENCE VARIABLES ARE TYPICALLY HELD CONSTANT FOR THE DOUBLE BLIND CLINICAL TRIAL.

IT IS MY OPINION THAT THE SIMULTANEOUS INVOLVEMENT OF SEVERAL DISCIPLINES SUCH AS MOLECULAR BIOLOGY, CELLULAR PHYSIOLOGY, GENETICS AND BIOCHEMISTRY AND NUTRITION MUST BE ADDRESSED TOGETHER TO SEE THE OPTIMAL RESULTS OF REGENERATIVE MEDICINE.

7) Does there come a point in some diseases that stem cell therapy should not be considered and do you feel that age is also a factor in the outcome of therapy in most cases?

STEM CELLS BY THEMSELVES IS NOT AN ANSWER TO ANY DISEASE. DISEASE IS TYPICALLY A STATE OF LONG TERM CELLULAR DYSFUNCTION THAT HAS EVENTUALLY LEAD TO AN ORGAN OR SYSTEM FAILURE. MARRIAGE OF THE DISCIPLINES DESCRIBED ABOVE IS THE ONLY WAY TO RETARD OR REVERSE A DISEASE PROCESS. YES, IT HAS BEEN SHOWN THE OLDER YOU GET THE POORER THE STEM CELL RESPONSE.

8) Do you recommend certain supplements and dietary restrictions after stem cell therapy? If you do, why and if you don't why.

ABSOLUTELY, NUTRICEUTICALS ARE NEEDED. STEM CELLS GROW IN A NICHE/MICROENVIRONMENT AND THEIR HEALTH DEPENDS ON CERTAIN NUTRIENTS BEING PRESENT. YES, EATING FOODS THAT PROVOKE UNFAVORABLE IMMUNE SYSTEM ACTIVITY IS ALSO NOT APPROPRIATE. FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU ARE GLUTEN INSENSITIVE EATING WHEAT, OATS, RYE OR BARLEY COULD HAVE UNWANTED AGGRESSIVE IMMUNE ACTIVITY. ANOTHER SIMPLE EXAMPLE IS THE EATING OF SUSHI...RAW FISH WITH THE POTENTIAL OF PARASITES IN AN IMMUNOSUPPRESSED PATIENT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.

9) How long do you think the cells can continue to engraft and replicate after treatment? Would additional treatments be of benefit if the health goal has not been obtained? Why are boosters cheaper if the cells are the main cost according to most clinics?

CELLS SHOULD BE ENGRAFTED (DEPENDING ON CELL TYPE) WITHIN 30-90 DAYS. RESEARCHERS HAVE DIFFICULTY PROVING THEIR EXISTENCE AFTER THIS PERIOD. HOWEVER, LONG TERM BENEFITS FROM THE TRANSPLANT CAN BE SEEN FOR MUCH LONGER PERIODS OF TIME. IF SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING YOU NEED TO STEP BACK AND DECIDE WHY IT ISN?T AND IF CORRECTABLE THEN FINE, BUT IF NOT ITS TIME TO ABANDON THAT PROCEEDURE AND LOOK FOR ANOTHER ELSEWHERE. BOOSTERS SHOULD NOT BE CHEAPER UNLESS THERE ARE LESS SERVICES AND A DECREASED PROTOCOL BEING PERFORMED. IT ISN?T ALWAYS THE CELLS THAT COST ITS THE PREP, STAY IN THE FACILITY, IMMUNOSUPPRESIVE DRUGS, ETC.

10) Is macular degeneration being treated successfully with stem cell therapy? If so, what type of cells would be best?

NOT YET THAT I AM AWARE OF. HOWEVER, THERE ARE TEAMS OF SCIENTISTS THAT HAVE EMBRYONIC STEM CELLS THAT THEY BELIEVE CAN REVERSE MACULAR DEGENERATION. STANDBY, MORE TO COME ON THIS IN THE ENSUING YEARS.

HEALTH, HUGS AND HAPPINESS,
DR. G

Status
Not open for further replies.