Vitamin A

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Question submitted for Dr. Ghen

Many of us with lung problems have been advised to take Vitamin A supplements. One of the members was wanting to take about 5000 IUs a day, but could only find gel caps with 8000 IUs. Since she cannot cut them in two, she is wanting to know if it would work to take one every other day or if the 8000 IUs is still in the acceptable level as far as taking Vitamin A and she could safely take one daily.

5000 iu of Vit. A is a small dose. There are patients that take as high as 100,000 units per day with health care advice. As long as the liver is functioning well the 8000 unit dose should not be problem. Certainly, check with your nutritionist. If you are fearful of toxicity you can always take Pro-Vitamin A (Beta-Carotene) which must first be converted by the liver to the active form of Vit. A.

Health,Happiness and hugs,

Dr. G

Bev12452

vitimin a

I am just adding my 2 cents I am using a liquid form of vitimin a and was told to use 100,000 for only 7 days than drop down to the daily dose of 20,000 just passing on info everyone needs to do what ever works for them

rosech44

Thanks For The Info, Barb, Dr. Ghen And Bev. I Think To Start, I Will Take One Every Other Day, See How That Works Out, Then Maybe Go To 1 A Day----at Any Rate I Do Appreciate The Input---:)

Mysty119

Thanks, Bev

Thanks for this site. I had been looking for a place to see what recommended daily dosages were for different vitamins and supplements! I used to take Vitamin A everyday about 15 years ago; but then was told by someone how it could be harmful to me. So--thanks again.