Please Note: THIS FORUM IS PATIENT MODERATED AND IS NOT CONNECTED TO ANY CLINIC OR DOCTOR. IF YOU WISH TO CONTACT A CERTAIN DOCTOR OR CLINIC, PLEASE LOOK IN THE ASK THE DOCTOR SECTION FOR DOCTOR OR CLINIC PHONE NUMBERS AND EMAIL ADDRESSES.

Home || Contact Us || Help Registering and Participating || Disclaimer

SeaChange now offers CBD Oil

Barbara and Jeannine's Book

Bea Luis Memorial

Thread: Beating high blood pressure with a combination of coconut oil and physical exercise

Default Beating high blood pressure with a combination of coconut oil and physical exercise

February 10, 2015 | ScienceBlog.com

Coconut oil is one of the few foods that can be classified as a “superfood.” Its unique combination of fatty acids can have profound positive effects on health, including fat loss, better brain function and many other remarkable benefits.

Researchers working at the Biotechnology Center at the Federal University of Paraiba in Brazil set out to test the hypothesis that a combination of daily coconut oil intake and exercise training would restore baroreflex sensitivity and reduce oxidative stress, resulting in reduction in blood pressure. They published their findings today in the journal Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism.

Their experiments were performed in spontaneously hypertensive rats. They found that both coconut oil and exercise training were able to reduce weight gain compared to rats that were given saline and were not exposed to the exercise training protocol along the 5 weeks of study.

Fresh coconut
    Either coconut oil supplementation or exercise training was shown to reduce blood pressure. However, only combined coconut oil and exercise training were able to bring the pressure back to normotensive values. The reduction in blood pressure caused by the combination of coconut oil supplementation and exercise training might be explained by the improvement of the reduced baroreflex sensitivity and by the reduction in oxidative stress in the serum, heart and aorta.

“This is an important finding as coconut oil is currently being considered a popular “superfood” and it is being consumed by athletes and the general population who seek a healthy life style”, explained Dr. Valdir de Andrade Braga, co-author of the study. “The possibility of using coconut oil as an adjuvant to treat hypertension adds to the long list of benefits associated with its consumption. Our next step is to start some clinical trials in order to verify whether we can reproduce those findings in hypertensive human patients.”

This article “Coconut Oil Supplementation and Physical Exercise Improves Baroreflex Sensitivity and Oxidative Stress in Hypertensive Rats” was published today in Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism.
    First treatment in 2007. Pioneering ever since.

Barbara

I also found Amla (Indian Gooseberry) supplements knock down the top number by about 10 points.

I read this in Life Extension mag, and it works

(I also do coco oil and take a brisk 4 mi walk at least 5 days/week)

How much coconut oil do you take a day? I'll have to try the Indian Gooseberry. Knocking it down 10 points is decent. I had some gooseberry wine in Belize once. It knocked me out. It was also the most foul tasting wine I've ever tasted.

Barbara

coco oil is variable, I put it on salads (Oil and Vinegar), and a few times a week I nuke egg whites with 2 tbsp of oil, 1/4tsp xanthan gum, Pecorino Romano Cheese (form sheep), some stevia, little butter and perhaps a flavor extract (hazelnut, almond). I can't eat egg yolks because they irritate my bursitis. I follow the arthritis/bursitis diet and it works like a miracle.

I buy the extract in pill form here:
    http://www.vitacost.com/paradise-her...arian-capsules
    And take two per day first thing in the morning with a glass of water. I have no connection with that company but their prices are better than my local health food chain store (if it was a small, local business, I'd pay the higher price but if the profits are going out of town, I may as well go for the savings). I'm sure it's available elsewhere also at a good price.

It took a couple of days to start working.

I try to keep my BP in the teens or lower 20s when resting. It's supposed to be healthier that way - at least I've chosen to believe those articles that I read. PubMed papers seem to bear that out as well.

I walk the 4 miles in about an hour - so it's brisk. I'm not into running or anything like that. I wore out 2 manual treadmills and 2 elliptical machines before I started walking, and the walking actually works better than the machines (I guess I wasted a lot of money).

Health is important. Without good health, nothing else matters.

Bob

Forgot to mention, nuke the egg mixture a minute, stir and nuke for another.

You can also make "Fat Bombs"

In a bowl, mix:

3/4 cup melted coconut oil
    9.5 Tbs. (150g) almond butter (can substitute Cashew, Peanut or other if you prefer)
    60 drops (about 3/8 tsp.) liquid Stevia or 24 packets of Splenda (I prefer Splenda for this recipe)
    3 Tbs. cocoa (I prefer dark, Dutch processed cocoa}
    1 stick of melted salted butter

Pour 2 Tbs. into each of 24 candy or mini muffin molds lined with those little paper mini-muffin cups.

Freeze for at least 30 minutes, then pop out the Fat Bombs and store them in a bag or other container in the freezer. You can keep them in the fridge, but as soon as you hold one with your hot little fingers, it will melt really fast. Frozen, it melts slower.

Nutritional info for one Fat Bomb:
    145 calories
    14.7g fat (91.2%)
    1.53g protein (4.2%)

They taste like candy.

Bob

Thanks bob-a-rama. It sounds like a good way to disguise the coconut oil. I have a hard time just putting it on toast or in my coffee. I do use it for cooking certain things. These fat bombs sound unique. I'll give them a try.

Barbara

It amazes me how different we all are in the taste department. I suspect it has to do with how the nerves connect and/or mouth chemistry.

I could eat spoons of coconut oil, it has almost no taste to me. I get the brand that for me has the slightest amount of coconut taste (nutiva). I've heard others tell me that coco oil has a strong, unpleasant taste.

On the other hand, there are some foods that I know would be good and healthy for me that others love that I can't get past the gag reflex. I couldn't even be polite at a dinner party if I tried my hardest.

The fat bombs taste almost like candy to me, and they are low carb too. I eat a very low carb diet. I rarely use Splenda as a sweetener, generally preferring organic Stevia, but in this recipe the Stevia doesn't make it for me.

We grew up with vinegar and oil on our salads, never had any of those other pre-packaged dressings. I tried a few and never liked the thickness. So having a salad with vinegar (has to be red wine) and olive or coconut oil is a natural for me.

Here's another I used to make with coco oil before I started limiting Splenda. I suppose it would work with Stevia but I ate them a lot and got tired of them. But now that I'm reading it, I just might make some soon.

1/4 cup nuts
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    dash cinnamon
    dash salt
    packet splenda

nuke 45 seconds and stir

Bob

I used to eat my salads with no dressing. I've upped it to vinegar and olive oil now. I don't know if you like popcorn, but my husband puts coconut oil on it instead of butter and we use low sodium sea salt. The nut recipe sounds good. I'd probably just leave out the Splenda altogether.

I agree that we all have different tastes. This extends to my dogs as well. A couple of them will just about eat anything, including lapping up coconut oil. The other 3 are very fussy and wouldn't eat it unless I had a lot of cat food mixed in with it. I've never had a dog turn down cat food.

Barbara

I don't do popcorn anymore (although I love it). I lost 50 pounds going low-glycemic in 2000 and I don't intend to put them back on.

And I've never known a dog that didn't like cat food either.

I did have a dog that didn't like peas. I bought some KalKan stew, and I don't know how she did it, but when she was done eating, the peas were left in the bowl, licked clean. Tried a second can some time later with the same results.

And I had a cat that ate anything but peanut butter - loved corn on the cob.

Bob