Please Note: THIS FORUM IS PATIENT MODERATED AND IS NOT CONNECTED TO ANY CLINIC OR DOCTOR. IF YOU WISH TO CONTACT A CERTAIN DOCTOR OR CLINIC, PLEASE LOOK IN THE ASK THE DOCTOR SECTION FOR DOCTOR OR CLINIC PHONE NUMBERS AND EMAIL ADDRESSES.

Home || Contact Us || Help Registering and Participating || Disclaimer

SeaChange now offers CBD Oil

Barbara and Jeannine's Book

Bea Luis Memorial

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regenerative Medicine The First Steps Toward a Cure

Default Regenerative Medicine The First Steps Toward a Cure

First treatment in 2007. Pioneering ever since.

Barbara

Default Organ Transplants

Barbara,
    My father lived with a transplanted lung for ten years. He hated to take the anti-rejection drugs. My father passed away 1 1/2 years ago. I just wish he had the opportunity of stem cell therapy. Politics should never decide on therapies that can save peoples lives! My family is upset about the cost of stem cell therapy. But unfortunately, only those who have money can afford it today. I knew that the only way that I would receive them was to pay for them. Otherwise I wouldn't see them in my life time! It is all about power & money......not caring for those who suffer daily! The FDA needs an overhaul!

The FDA's ruling that our own stem cells are drugs has done a lot to fuel the two tiered system here in the U.S. Those who can afford treatment will pay for it out of pocket and get it. Those who can't won't be able to get it anytime in the near future which means the lack of opportunity to improve the quality of their lives.

With all the hue and cry about helping the poor, this overreach by the FDA has done exactly the opposite. You are absolutely right in your observations Peg.

Also, the cost is not exorbitant when you consider the cost of medical treatment today. My husband broke his wrist a few years ago. It cost us over $18,000 out of pocket (yes we had insurance) and it wasn't even set right. My stem cell treatment on the other hand, was less than a third of that and the quality of life improvements I've experienced cannot have a dollar figure even placed on them.

Power, profits, politics - that is what is driving the regulatory overreach. It's shameful.

Barbara

Default Fda

Hi Barbara,
    Maybe this is as good a thread to post this question as any. There are many discussions about this.

Given the FDA's interference with the stem cell treatments I would like to know how this impacts treatments for COPD. Clearly there are still treatments available in country but how do the treatments compare say to what DR. F does in Peru versus Tampa.

I am a COPD patient and will be doing good to come up with the money to get to Tampa for treatment much less Peru. Can you explain the difference?

Thanks
    Del

The FDA regulates our own stem cells as drugs if they are more than minimally manipulated (expanded) outside our bodies before being re-infused. What this means is that allowing stem cells to grow in culture for a period of time multiplies their numbers greatly making the treatment more clinically relevant for some therapies.

Clinics treating patients legally in the U.S. are not expanding the stem cells in this manner and at this time are not subject to FDA regulations concerning expansion. That does not mean that other guidelines do not have to be followed in order to insure a safe and sterile handling of the process.

The problem lies in whether or not stem cell therapies using our own stem cells (autologous) should fall under the practice of medicine or be regulated by the FDA as a drug. The FDA's reasoning is that the stem cells are being changed (manipulated) so therefore they are a drug. The argument falls apart in so many areas and that's why Dr. Centeno decided to take on the FDA. It's complicated, but I believe that the over reach of the FDA is motivated by power, profits and politics, not safety. Patients are the ones who are suffering in the meantime. Our civil liberties have been taken from us and we are at the mercy of a regulatory agency that simply doesn't seem to care.

Consider the number of deaths from adverse effects of FDA approved medications vs deaths from autologous stem cell treatments done by a competent physician and it becomes even more obvious what this is all about. There is big money at stake and patients are the only ones without a conflict of interest. Big Pharma, academia, politicians and even the FDA itself will not profit if treatments are simply given by physicians using a patient's own stem cells.

Barbara

Thanks Barbara!

Have there been any formal study or comparison of the difference in the results of COPD treatments? One would have to believe the expanded treatments are much more effective.

I don't know of any formal studies that have been done to compare results. There are ongoing studies right now for COPD, but as far as comparative studies I think that will be way down the road.

Dr. Lopez (Regenerative Medicine Institute) did complete his COPD study. http://www.stemcellpioneers.com/showthread.php?t=6858

The type of stem cells and the infusion method are very important. There are those that believe more stem cells are better and those that say type and quality are more important than quantity.

Barbara

Thanks again!

As I am just beginning to learn about all of this I would gravitate to the "more is better" group. I figure if 80% of the stem cells die then I would want 20% of a bigger batch! I guess these good doc's doing this make the call depending on individual circumstances as to which type are best for each patient.

Amazing science and I am very hopeful about the prospects.

Is it quite common that our pulmonary doc's are not promoting stem cells?
    Last edited by DelHenry; 10-30-2013 at 01:40 PM.

There are many different types of stem cells, so quality does count. Here is an excerpt from Dr. Kadish, host of September's Ask the Doctor which is quite interesting. Of course, other doctors may have a different answer, but he addresses the issue you are asking about.

And yes, it is common for many mainstream doctors to be skeptical.

http://www.stemcellpioneers.com/showthread.php?t=7172

"Let’s address the cell numbers issue. This is a misunderstanding on the part of many patients. Unlike hair transplants the number of cells is not what determines the outcome of the therapy.
    It is a gimmick used by some groups to make you think that you’re receiving a substantial treatment. The real issue is not by any means exclusively the number of cells that determine the patient’s success or failure. Cell viability (number active) is by far more important coupled with the issue of growth factors.
    To really appreciate the, “rest of the story” I would encourage any consumer to look into the paracrine effect, which may be the equal in importance of any cell numbers or even viability consideration. The work on the growth factors effect on allowing the cells to really engage and remain on the affected site of the diseased tissue is critical for a good response. At World Stem Cells we use growth factors with all our patients.
    Interestingly this effect is now becoming the new cookbook in stem cell differentiation, for all stem cell researchers. There are a number of commercial firms selling specific factors or mechanical means to make specific cells. The problem is our bodies do not contain isolated single cell types, but rather multiple cell types are the requirement for good tissue integrity and response.
    Millions of cells with low levels of viability are a waste and give the patient nothing. At World Stem Cells Clinic we count your cells and measure the viability levels in our laboratory. You’re given this information both before and after we expand the cells and know what cell number and viability were found and used in your treatment. Our typical patient received multiple millions of cells. Even our older patients generate the high cell numbers, along with viability, after stimulation and proper preparation for stem cell therapy.
    So as a consumer I would encourage you to not get hoodwinked by a numbers game. Instead consider the whole procedure. Our experience seeing patients ranging from 4-86 years of age and now going into our 5th year, clearly has shown that all patients given adequate preparation and stimulation can achieve multiple millions of active cells."

Barbara

Again, Thank you Barbara!!

That is really good information to know as I was clearly focused on the numbers. I am so thankful you and Jeannine have provided this resource for all of us!

Del