Please Note: THIS FORUM IS PATIENT MODERATED AND IS NOT CONNECTED TO ANY CLINIC OR DOCTOR. IF YOU WISH TO CONTACT A CERTAIN DOCTOR OR CLINIC, PLEASE LOOK IN THE ASK THE DOCTOR SECTION FOR DOCTOR OR CLINIC PHONE NUMBERS AND EMAIL ADDRESSES.

Home || Contact Us || Help Registering and Participating || Disclaimer

SeaChange now offers CBD Oil

Barbara and Jeannine's Book

Bea Luis Memorial

Thread: New Stem Cell Treatment Reduces Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy Inflammation

Default New Stem Cell Treatment Reduces Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy Inflammation

New Stem Cell Treatment Reduces Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy Inflammation, Benefit to Diabetics [Study]

The Inquistr
    Posted: July 9, 2012

Diabetics who suffer from diabetic peripheral neuropathy may benefit from a new type of stem cell preparation, says a new study published in STEM CELLS Translational Medicine.

Diabetic peripheral neuropathy, or nerve damage, causes pain or loss of feeling in the toes, feet, legs, hands, and arms among diabetic patients. About 70 percent of diabetes suffer from neuropathy. Current treatments for severe diabetic peripheral neuropathy include tricyclic antidepressants, anticonvulsants, opioids, serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, and topical agents.

“However, none of these therapies directly targets the inflammation, most have negative side effects and less than 30 percent of patients experience adequate pain relief. Clearly, new therapies are needed,” explains Dr. Ruth Waterman of the Ochsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans and lead author of the study

However, a new preparation of stem cell treatment may target the inflammation that is thought to be the main cause of neuropathy.

Dr. Waterman recently collaborated with other researchers including Dr. Aline Betancourt from Tulane University’s Center for Stem Cell Research and Regenerative Medicine to develop a new stem cell treatment that controls the inflammation that causes diabetic peripheral neuropathy.

Previous studies have indicated that mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are safe and effective in treating inflammatory disease such as diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Unfortunately, as Dr. Betancourt explains:

“The problem is that the current methods for preparing these cells yield a mixed pool of undefined cells that aren’t consistently effective in the clinic. Our laboratory developed a new method that results in a consistent, uniform MSC population and optimizes their anti-inflammatory effects. We call these cells MSC2s.”

This new preparation of stem cell treatment had produced significant improvements in inflammation and other symptoms. Mice given the new stem cell treatment preparation saw a 40 percent improvement. Mice given the original preparation saw only a 14 percent improvement.

As Dr. Waterman concludes:

“Moreover the responses did not differ from what we saw in the healthy control group of mice. These findings suggest that the use of anti-inflammatory MSC2 is a promising new therapeutic strategy for diabetic peripheral neuropathy that should be further investigated.”

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/271921/new-...FQ2sol7qi21.99
    First treatment in 2007. Pioneering ever since.

Barbara

Default new msc2 stem cells diabetic neuropathies

Barbara,
    I asked Dr. Malan about these stem cells. He told me that he wouldn't advise them because they are strictly nerve cells. They cannot rebuild blood vessels & tissue which is also essential as a whole! Plus , we will not see this in trials anytime soon for the government will just study it too death....like everything else including drugs! I've been waiting for a drug cure for 16 years for my pelvic nerve pain. I just gave up on pharm. companies! I am so happy to see the study for peripheral neuropathies with stem cells. If I have to go back again for another treatment, God help me I will go to Dr. Malan's clinic!! Why is are government/fda/pharm. companies so against stem cells. Why can't they just truly help those suffering with diseases.....instead they are just greedy for money!

What type of stem cells is Dr. Malan extracting from the adipose? MSC's are proving to be very safe and are widely used. The following link has some good information -

http://www.patientsforstemcells.org/...re-stem-cells/

Peg - The FDA, academia and Big Pharma aren't against stem cells per se. It's a complicated issue that boils down to power, profits and politics. The only one who profits when our own stem cells are used and administered by a physician, is the physician. Billions and billions of dollars are at stake.

http://www.patientsforstemcells.org/...-of-your-body/

You can search the forum and you will find many posts about the FDA's overreach and encroachment on the practice of medicine. The General Discussion area has a lot of threads on the subject. The FDA's ruling is putting millions of people at risk and forcing them to go offshore for treatment. It's truly outrageous.

Barbara

Default msc2 stem cells

Barbara,
    The Tulane study for diabetic peripheral neuropathy used manipulated adipose stem cells. They basically manipulated those stem cells to produce only nerve cells. I asked Dr. Malan about the study in my pre-op visit. He told me that you are better off receiving non-manipulated stem cells. The damaged area needs for the stem cells to remove scar tissue, rebuild blood vessels & tissue in addition to repairing the nerve cells. All of those processes are needed as a whole to heal any area of your body. This requires more than just one type of stem cell. I agree that adipose stem cells are the best stem cells right now in regenerative medicine. Dr. Malan is to call me this week. I will ask him if he will be a host for the forum. Today, hasn't been such a great day for me. But I am hanging in here thinking positively about my pac man stem cells!

Thanks Peg for asking him.

Manipulated also can mean expanded. Many conditions do not seem to respond well to treatments where the stem cells are only minimally manipulated to meet FDA guidelines. The treatments simply are not clinically relevant, meaning they are not very effective.

Personally, I am not a big fan of adipose derived stem cell treatments because of a bad experience several years ago. My last treatment was totally non invasive requiring only a small amount of blood to be drawn. It was really a piece of cake. That being said, adipose is very popular and for some, it is the best choice. One size does not fit all as I have said many times.

Interestingly enough, Dr. Feinerman, who administered my last treatment, told me that he approves only about 3 out of 10 patients for adipose derived treatment. Liposuction is an invasive procedure requiring some anesthesia. He strongly believes that such caution is warranted especially in those who may be very ill or frail.

Barbara

Default msc2 stem cells

Barbara,
    I agree that for those frail patients, adipose stem cells isn't the right choice. I made the choice based on the scientific fact that adipose stem cells are like bone marrow stem cells. But adipose stem cells numbers are in the millions as compared to bone marrow stem cells. Since this was the first study opened to all americans, I jumped at the opportunity. The liposuction procedure wasn't that bad for me. Dr. Malan used local anesthesia. He has perfected the liposuction procedure with the use of water. You can read more at his website for Innovative Cosmetics. He uses stem cells for all his cosmetic procedures too. I was offered blood stem cells by Dr. Grekos in Florida. But I had to have surgery at that time. Then he lost his license the following year. My only other option was embryonic stem cells.....but I've read that those stem cells are uncontrollable. Today, I've seen a change for the better for the granuloma skin disease I developed 10 months ago. My pain level is the same. But that is ok for at least I know that the stem cells will work for 4 more months. I just wish that they would offer clinical trials with stem cells for non-diabetic neuropathies/post-surgical neuropathies. I am remaining positive for now praying daily for my pac man stem cells to continue to work to heal me. Hopefully, next year there will be more stem cell news for neuropathies with these studies. I've only found on line one video of proclaimed cure for neuropathy in India. But I am very wary of overseas stem cell clinics. I am happy that the blood stem cells are helping you with your condition. Where is your clinic located & the physicians name? Take care.........Peg