Please Note: THIS FORUM IS PATIENT MODERATED AND IS NOT CONNECTED TO ANY CLINIC OR DOCTOR. IF YOU WISH TO CONTACT A CERTAIN DOCTOR OR CLINIC, PLEASE LOOK IN THE ASK THE DOCTOR SECTION FOR DOCTOR OR CLINIC PHONE NUMBERS AND EMAIL ADDRESSES.

Home || Contact Us || Help Registering and Participating || Disclaimer

SeaChange now offers CBD Oil

Barbara and Jeannine's Book

Bea Luis Memorial

Thread: Rsearchers rejoice - more money on the way

Default Rsearchers rejoice - more money on the way

More money for research! This ought to make scientists happy when unemployment is at such high levels. This article, shockingly enough, mentions clinical trials.

California?s stem cell research funding agency will fund up to $243 million to help move therapies into clinical trials.
    Up to 12 ?disease teams? of researchers from companies and academia could receive as much as $20 million each, according to the San Francisco-based California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, or CIRM.
    Like the first round of $250 million in disease team awards, aimed at multidisciplinary teams rather than individual researchers, CIRM said it expects the teams to file a request to begin clinical trials or complete Phase I or Phase II trials within four years.
    The funding could prove critical in moving stem cell research ? including that involving embryonic stem cell or induced pluripotent stem cells ? closer to treatments or cures for diseases like Alzheimer?s, spinal cord injuries or diabetes.
    CIRM is funded by $3 billion in bonds sold by the state after California voters six years ago approved Proposition 71.
    ?These teams will drive the promise of Proposition 71 forward by advancing new stem cell therapies towards the clinic, safely ? under the pressure of a four-year timetable ? for a broad range of chronic disease or injury,? Bob Klein, chairman of CIRM?s governing board, said in a press release.
    Fourteen teams won awards in the first round of the program, including a diabetes team of the University of California, San Francisco, and Novocell Inc., a brain tumor team with UCSF the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research and the Burnham Institute for Medical Research and a skin disease team from Stanford University.
    The last of those funds was sent out three or four months ago, said CIRM spokesman Don Gibbons.
    With this second round of grants, CIRM initially will fund about 35 grants of up to $110,000 to lead investigators that will assemble teams that will plan and prepare for the disease team awards. Only those teams awarded money for planning can submit an application for the full disease team award.
    CIRM will post its request for applications in November.
    First treatment in 2007. Pioneering ever since.

Barbara

Doesn't look like there will be much happening for quite some time.

Same old, same old like the NIH does. Two years later they get a grant and maybe five years later they publish a paper for peer review after playing with mice or rats.. I've been told it's a way of life for them and spend half their careers applying for grants.
    Still Pioneering
    Had UC treatment April 5th, 2007
    Had autologous treatment March 19, 2010
    Had bone marrow and adipose stem cell treatment (autologous) June 16, 2010

Default Researchers Rejoicing?

Y'know, as I continue to read items like this, the feeling I get is akin to viewing (or experiencing) a sort of slow-motion long-lasting nightmare...

I think that the only real hope most of us have is the continuing emergence of offshore clinics that have established high levels of confidence... I really don't think there are going to be any major changes within the U.S. on stem cell applications. A lot of hugely expensive smoke & mirrors stuff may go on, without much of anything getting into clinical practice here.

Maybe I'm having a senior pessimistic moment; if so, then my short-term memory deficit should obliterate it rather quickly...

Robert

Robert

DId you check out the links I posted last week regarding the NIH and the grant awarded? Did you also notice how many of them went to Harvard?

Did you also check out the current stem cell clinical trials on clinicaltrials.gov?

Most of these trials were outside the US. I believe the people granting the money (ie taxpayers) are uninformed and these researchers and the NIH just go along and accept the money and then four years later there's still nothing to show.

There are many private companies with great ideas who would make more progress win six months with the money than these rat researchers make in 4 years.

Yes - I am a pessimistic and fed up.
    Still Pioneering

Default Researchers Rejoicing?

Jeannine:

I'm not surprised at the abundance of money winding up at places like Harvard...

This whole situation is fantastic; it's like something out of a science fiction novel. The spectacle of what seems like thousands of frantic/desperate people running outside ConUS to spend apparently ungodly amounts of money to try to help themselves, because of what has been occurring here is horrendous.

I do hope that this pending litigation winds up chewing the FDA to pieces over what they've been doing with this...

Sorry; please excuse the rant...

Robert

Robert

Default Jeaqnnine and Robert

Rant all you want to! I do a lot of my own! We are entitled to more than we are getting. I don't know when John D. Public is going to wake-up. Our government is broken at all levels. I don't care what party or non-party you belong to. Common sense has completely flown out the window. People just don't really give a care what is being done as long as it is available to them when they need it. How do you-we overcome this? I just get so tired of people looking at me like I don't have any brain cells left when I try to discuss the state of affairs! Don't care or don't need? Then make some STUPID comment such as "I hope you get to feeling better!" NOT!

The biggest problem we face is very few people understand stem cells outside the research community. I have tried contacting several media outlets and even have a friend who works for a magazine, but no one even understands what we're talking about.
    Still Pioneering

Sorry, but Kaye's comment of "I hope you get to feeling better" made me laugh. If I had a dollar for each time someone said to me when I tell them I have a terminal disease, I would be retired and living in a villa somewhere. I try to explain stem cells and what it is like to have a terminal disease and they seem to get brain freeze. I had one guy trying to sell me something on Friday that would save me X amount of dollars in 20 years. I told him that unless something was done in this country to make stem cell therapy available (I never miss an opportunity) that 20 years was a real long time for someone with a fatal disease. He got so flustered that he repeated 3 times during the conversation that he sure hoped I would feel better real soon. This is what we are dealing with except for those that know what it is like to walk in our shoes. My husband knows, but other than that, I can't think of anyone I know that truly knows what it's like, except those that are also ill. Those with chronic conditions, that might not be life threatening are in the same boat too. People just don't know what it's like to live with what we do.
    I have to repeat once again how important it is to post comments, twitter, FB, etc. to get the word out about the denial of treatment for us and the misconduct of the FDA, including the endless research being done. This is going to help Dr. Centeno in his lawsuit, believe me. He is already reporting that it is. Instead of just getting slammed in the media as a rogue clinic, he is now being asked for interviews to get his side of the story. This is because there have been so many pro statements made on his behalf. Keep it up everyone PLEASE.
    First treatment in 2007. Pioneering ever since.

Barbara