Please Note: THIS FORUM IS PATIENT MODERATED AND IS NOT CONNECTED TO ANY CLINIC OR DOCTOR. IF YOU WISH TO CONTACT A CERTAIN DOCTOR OR CLINIC, PLEASE LOOK IN THE ASK THE DOCTOR SECTION FOR DOCTOR OR CLINIC PHONE NUMBERS AND EMAIL ADDRESSES.

Home || Contact Us || Help Registering and Participating || Disclaimer

SeaChange now offers CBD Oil

Barbara and Jeannine's Book

Bea Luis Memorial

Thread: Cleveland quietly becoming leader in adult stem cell industry

Blog Entries

Default Cleveland quietly becoming leader in adult stem cell industry

Cleveland quietly becoming leader in adult stem cell industry

Emerging field finds fertile ground to grow
    Friday, August 14, 2009
    June Q. Wu
    Plain Dealer Reporter
    George Reed, 73, still remembers the day his cardiologist told him there was nothing more he could do. Coronary bypass surgeries, stent procedures, defibrillators and pacemakers - he'd been through it all.

A "no-option patient," the doctors called him. Another invasive procedure was out of the question. His heart, weakened by diffuse coronary artery disease, wouldn't be able to take it, his doctors said

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...100.xml&coll=2
    Still Pioneering
    Had UC treatment April 5th, 2007
    Had autologous treatment March 19, 2010
    Had bone marrow and adipose stem cell treatment (autologous) June 16, 2010

Default Good News?

I was a little surprised to see they wrote about ONE patient. Four years, $235 million, 310 patients and 51 clinical trials. The article seemed more interested in jobs and the economy than healing. It's always about the ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR! This is not progress.

Blog Entries

Kaye - I have to agree with you. It sounds like the never ending research jobs program. Think how many could have had autologous stem cell treatment for the kind of money they are spending. I realize research is needed and it may take time. I think we have been patient. But enough is enough. Let's move on to some real trials. Look what Zee is finding out at the NIH. They have nothing meaningful going on. This is very disheartening for those of us with terminal and chronic diseases. They are researching us to death.
    First treatment in 2007. Pioneering ever since.

Barbara

Thumbs down Research

A physician friend suggested to me last week that the reason for so much research is that they all are looking to get a Nobel Prize. Just research, no cure.

Blog Entries

That's an interesting and insightful comment. If they don't get moving, it should become the Nobel booby prize.
    First treatment in 2007. Pioneering ever since.

Barbara

The important point to me as an MS patient: this is the first autologous mesenchymal stem cell transplant in the USA - that doesn't involve ablation of the immune system as step 1, using chemo/radiation. The trial isn't funded yet, and won't start befor spring 2010, nor complete until 2013, so we are still years away from legal procedures in the US.

But this does lend further credence to this technique, which can be obtained now in other countries.

Here is the trial description, but they said don't call until next spring for enrollment. Cleveland Clinic. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00813969