Associate Professor or assistant professor as the radio host called him, Leigh Turner, once again fear mongering about recent stem cell legislation passed in Texas. I found it interesting that the host didn't bother to vet him and when he was introducing him, it sounded like he was putting Turner into the category of medical professional. He's a PhD, not a medical doctor.

I think it is also interesting that the study that Turner and Knoepfler did claiming that there were almost 600 clinics operating in the U.S. treating patients with stem cells, were for the majority orthopedic stem cell clinics, something Turner failed to mention. He also said he gets calls from a lot of people about stem cell treatment. My question is why would anyone call an associate professor who is a bioethicist at a university for medical advice? That seems like a far bigger risk to me than consulting with a physician who treats patients using their own stem cells. Here is the short radio interview. Thankfully, it was short as I would not have been able to listen to more of this nonsense being spouted by Turner. He is entitled to his opinion, but patients are entitled to the facts, something the media is failing to do when they allow no one to counter such opinion pieces as this one most obviously was.

http://www.texasstandard.org/stories...ll-treatments/

Risky? You be the judge. A member who sent me the tip on the radio program also commented -

"As frequently sited, there are approx. 580 stem cell clinics in the U.S. If each of these 580 clinics treated, lets say, 50 patients a day, the statistics show over 500,000 patients a year are being treated now. If there has only been 5 adverse reactions when over 500,000 were treated annually, those are incredibly safe odds. This is by far safer than Tylenol! The 5 cases we see quoted over and over were not a direct result of the stem cells, but rather medical malpractice at the hands of some incompetent doctors."